About International Chamber of Shipping
The International Chamber of Shipping (ICS) is a global trade association for shipowners and operators. It provides a collective voice for the shipping industry, articulating and advocating shipowner positions to the industry’s international regulators, principally the UN agencies, the International Maritime Organization and International Labour Organization, but also other intergovernmental bodies and relevant stakeholders.
Reporting into the Director of Strategy and Communications, this is an exciting role with a wide remit. You will be responsible for delivering the association’s communications strategy across a range of media and stakeholders. This includes increasing its profile and visibility, reaching the wider public, and helping create greater awareness of issues such as the vital contribution of shipping to the global economy and its environmental performance. You will also have line management responsibility.
Our purpose is to ensure the development, promotion and application of best practices throughout the shipping industry. This encompasses issues of maritime affairs, shipping policy and technical matters, including ship construction, operation, safety and management working with a number of UN bodies. We also promote the sustainable and equitable decarbonisation of the shipping industry.
- Work with the Director of Strategy and Communications to develop and execute the communications plan; help raise the profile of the work of the association and promote its purpose and goals
- Work with the Communications Executive to generate coverage in domestic and international media (print, broadcast & social) through the placing of stories, provision of comment, and distribution of press releases, arranging interviews and drafting features for journalists
- Actively build relationships across the organisation to find and create stories, interviewing colleagues to draft succinct press releases, blogs, case studies and other relevant, compelling content for print and social channels
- Handle all in-coming press enquiries
- Generate coverage in international key media through liaison with members
- Organise and coordinate key member events
- Drafting speeches for Chair and Secretary General
- Oversee the production of collateral such as printed and e-newsletters
- Oversee the tracking and measurement of media coverage against agreed KPI’S / objectives
- Oversee the maintenance of the website and social media accounts
- Work collaboratively with the Communications Director and other divisions
- Develop, manage and maintain relationships with external suppliers and agencies as appropriate
- Line manages the Communications Executive and Digital & Social Media Officer
- Other activities as required to support the Secretary General or Director of Strategy and Communications
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Demonstrable experience of working with media, including print, broadcast and social, ideally with an international membership body / and or regulated industry
- Track record in writing press releases and other content specifically for the media audience and generating coverage
- An interest in current affairs / appreciation of issues that are relevant to the business community and a proven ability to generate coverage around those issues
- Political judgement and excellent client / stakeholder management skills
- A deep understanding of social and traditional media and how it generates positive coverage.
- Experience of working with and advising senior industry figures, and a record of influencing senior government and other political figures
- Knowledge and understanding of working with diverse cultures
- Self-driven and an ability to work on own initiative
- Excellent English written and oral communications skills
- Fast and accurate research, writing and copy-editing skills
- Experience of working in a press office environment
- Experience of working with a membership body and / or in a regulated industry is desirable but not essential
- Experience of using CISION or similar coverage and distribution system is desirable
- Understanding of the maritime sector appreciated but not essential
- Additional language appreciated but not essential
- Line management experience
Working at ICS
As well as a competitive salary you can expect an excellent range of additional benefits and a great team culture.
The small and highly dedicated secretariat team is based in the City of London. You can expect to work from the office for at least three days a week on a flexible basis and subject to business needs, combined with home working for the remainder of the time. We have recently moved into a brand new and very modern office space which supports this style of work.
No Agencies Please