The International Chamber of Shipping is seeking to appoint a Senior Manager in its Legal Department. This is a rare opportunity for an experienced maritime legal professional to play a central role in influencing shipping’s regulatory environment at the highest international level.
Job Title: Senior Manager (Legal)
Reports to: Principal Director (Legal) and Director, Legal Affairs
Applications Close: 30 Nov 2021
About International Chamber of Shipping
The International Chamber of Shipping (ICS) is a global trade association for shipowners and operators. It provides a collective voice for the shipping industry, articulating and advocating shipowner positions to the industry’s international regulators, principally the UN agencies, the International Maritime Organization and International Labour Organization, but also other intergovernmental bodies and relevant stakeholders.
The busy ICS legal team advises and represents shipowners at all international regulatory fora on legal liability and marine insurance matters affecting their operations and provides professional legal services to ICS and related companies.
Job Description and Key Responsibilities:
- You will apply your specialist shipping law and marine insurance knowledge and skills to support the ICS Maritime Law and Insurance Committees. These Committees report directly to the ICS Board and discuss a varied and frequently changing range of international regulatory issues confronting shipowners.
- You will keep abreast of relevant industry developments, provide advice to ICS members, develop policy positions and represent the industry in discussions with senior decision makers at the IMO and at other UN bodies such as UNCITRAL, UNCTAD and DOALOS.
- In building support for shipowner positions, you will work closely with other international shipowners’ organisations.
- You will develop liaison relationships with many other stakeholders in the maritime industry, including P&I and commercial insurers, salvors and maritime legal professionals.
- In addition to regulatory work, you will provide legal support for ICS and related companies, reviewing/drafting/negotiating agreements and ensuring compliance with all applicable laws.
- You will deal with miscellaneous legal issues relevant to the general business of ICS and related companies.
What we are looking for from you
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Lawyer with several years post qualification experience ideally in a maritime legal practice and/or in-house in a shipping company, marine insurance company or P&I Club.
- Deep knowledge of shipping law and marine insurance, and a good general knowledge of the global shipping industry and the challenges facing shipowners.
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills.
- Excellent written and spoken English, with attention to accuracy and detail.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to gain an understanding of new issues quickly.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to explain complex matters concisely and comprehensibly.
- Excellent administrative/organisational skills.
- Comfortable managing competing priorities and working at pace.
- A good general knowledge of and interest in politics and international affairs.
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Familiarity with wider global shipping issues.
- Knowledge of international maritime conventions and treaty law.
- Presentation, public communication and influencing skills.
- Sound experience of general commercial law, contracts and IPR.
Working at ICS
As well as a competitive salary you can expect an excellent range of additional benefits and a great team culture.
The small and highly dedicated secretariat team is based in the City of London. You can expect to work from the office for at least three days a week on a flexible basis and subject to business needs, combined with home working for the remainder of the time. We have recently moved into a brand new and very modern office space which supports this style of work. You will also travel for meetings, frequently in London but also to other national and international locations. We use the Microsoft 365 suite of tools including Teams and SharePoint and so you’ll need to be familiar with these or quick to learn them.
We are accepting direct applications only. To apply please submit your cv and a single page covering letter outlining how you meet the ‘Essential Qualifications Skills and Experience’ required, and advising your current notice period / available start date to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will take place in early December.
Applications Close: 30 Nov 2021
No Agencies Please