Kenneth Macleod is a Master Mariner with over 60 years marine industry experience, commencing his career at sea as a Galley Boy in 1959 before joining J&J Denholm in 1960 as an Apprentice Deck Officer.
He is a non-executive Director of Stena UK Ltd and has been with Stena for over 40 years in senior management positions, having established and operated Northern Marine Management, Stena’s International ship management company.
Current roles include
- Member of the U.K. Chamber of Shipping supervisory board.
- Member of ‘Friends of Ocean Action’, the global oceans forum facilitated by the World Economic Forum on behalf of the UN Secretary General.
- Member of the Advisory Group to the Sustainable Ocean Economy ‘High level Panel’ comprising 14 Heads of State.
The Group is administered by the World Resources Institute (WRI) who work in partnership with both WEF and the UN on the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals. They also provide the secretariat for the WEF/UN, Friends of Ocean Action.
Previous roles include
- Chairman of Stena line UK, Europe’s largest largest passenger/freight ferry company.
- President of the UK Chamber of Shipping, where he remains a supervisory board member.
- Non-executive director of CMAL, the Scottish Government’s ferry and harbour assets owning company.
- Commissioner (i.e. non-executive Director) of the Northern Lighthouse Board, the general lighthouse authority for Scotland and the Isle of Man.
- Member and Vice-Chair of the World Economic Forum’s global agenda council on oceans.
Ken is very active in his support for charities both within the marine sector and on a personal level. He received an Order of the British Empire (OBE) for services to the shipping industry and charity in 2014.