International Maritime Health Association (IMHA) position paper on Oxygen on board ships:
In the current climate, ICS is working hard to support our members, the wider shipping community and global trade by providing guidance, recommendations and information for shipowners, seafarers and governments.
To help protect the health of seafarers and passengers, as well as the general public, International Chamber of Shipping ensures that best practice regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19) is available.
A growing number of guidance documents and posters including translations into French, Arabic and Spanish are available to download for free, plus best practices for completing the pre-transfer conference, and interactive versions of the ship/shore safety checklist.
Read more about how we are supporting the shipping industry and find useful links to further resources below.
COVID-19 – Calling shipping companies or masters to fill in the crew change report form
COVID-19: A year on
International Chamber of Shipping (ICS) meet with World Health Organization (WHO) to discuss impact of COVID-19
New ICS research a ‘ray of light’ amongst the COVID-19 clouds
Seafarer healthcare post-COVID-19
Best Practices for Completing the Ship/Shore Safety Checklist during the COVID-19 Pandemic
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Guidance for Ensuring a Safe Shipboard Interface Between Ship and Shore-Based Personnel
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Guidance for Ship Operators for the Protection of the Health of Seafarers v1
The Perfect Storm: The Impact of COVID-19 on Shipping, Seafarers and Maritime Labour Markets
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Seafarer Shore Leave Principles, Second Edition
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Roadmap for Vaccination of International Seafarers, Second Edition
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Guidance for Ship Operators for the Protection of the Health of Seafarers, Fifth Edition
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Vaccination for Seafarers and Shipping Companies: A Practical Guide, Third Edition
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Legal, Liability and Insurance Issues arising from Vaccination of Seafarers, Second Edition
Tools and Posters
Poster: COVID-19 – Access to company or other support helplines for seafarers
Poster: COVID-19 – Shipboard care for people with suspected or confirmed COVID-19
Poster: COVID-19 – Keeping safe when on board
Poster: COVID-19 – Stay healthy while travelling
Links to Further Resources
International Maritime Health Association (IMHA) interim position paper on Vaccination of seafarers against COVID-19:
International Maritime Organization (IMO) circulars, statements, advice and useful links:
Video providing guidance and information on managing the mental health of seafarers during the pandemic:
Wilhelmsen Ships Service interactive map on current port restrictions:
Free online COVID-19 tracker tool helping shipowners, charterers, operators and other maritime groups track country and port specific advice around the world, also detailing the measures being put in place in response to the pandemic:
Guidance on current best practices, the industry’s collective recommendations to governments, and regularly updated useful information:
ICS is supporting the shipping industry through the pandemic by:
- Working with international organisations including the International Maritime Organization, the World Health Organization and the International Labour Organizations.
- Ensuring that best practice is available and responding to the emerging issues, bringing this to the attention of relevant international bodies and working with partners to identify solutions and make recommendations. To this end, ICS is holding twice weekly conference calls with our members around the world.
- Collaborating with fellow industry bodies to effectively target the support and recommendations which ICS, together and other industry bodies, are able to provide. ICS coordinates a weekly call with colleagues from fellow industry bodies.
- Liaising with welfare organisations to ensure we are able to support our seafarers in this difficult time. This is an important group which also ensures that seafarers’ voices are heard by the international organisations. ICS is coordinating a weekly call with various welfare organisations.
- Representing shipowners at the weekly COVID-19 Strategy Group call with the International Maritime Organization, the International Labour Organization and the World Health Organization, as well as other bodies such as the European Commission.
- Coordinating action on a wide range of issues, including crew welfare, satellite access, cruise industry workers and liaising with port organisations and class societies to ensure the safe and environmentally sensitive operation of the global shipping sector. To this end, ICS is working closely with partners, such as the unions and other industry bodies.
COVID-19 Vaccinations for Seafarers and Shipping Companies
Clear & practical advice on COVID-19 vaccinations for seafarers and shipping companies is available now. Watch the video to learn more. Thanks to all the seafarers and onshore teams that made the video possible.
Watch and share the film about our #HeroesAtSea campaign, highlighting the #crewchangecrisis and the need for governments to take action.
Annual Review 2020
The 2020 Annual Review covers the impact of COVID-19 and the intensifying crew change crisis plus a broad cross-section of such as efforts to decarbonise shipping and the USD 5 billion industry fund to accelerate the R&D of zero-carbon technologies.