Maritime companies that value diversity and inclusion will be able to protect its existing workforce and encourage new talent into the business. This will help to create a more diverse, successful and competitive maritime sector.
This tool is:
Designed to encourage shipping companies to progress their efforts on their diversity journey
Designed to help assess where your organisation is on this journey
To provide suggestions on how to progress
To be reviewed on an annual basis
This charter aims to ensure:
- The workforce truly embraces all sections of society, and every employee feels respected and can contribute their best.
- The organisation is committed to zero tolerance of discrimination regarding customers and the general public.
- There is board level commitment to ensure the principles in this charter are honoured.
- Equality, fairness, and respect for all employees whether temporary, part-time, or full-time.
- Employees are not discriminated against for specific protected characteristics (Definitions can be found in Action Statements on next page)
- All forms of discrimination are opposed and avoided through means of:
|Pay and benefits||Terms & conditions
|Conduct at work|
|Dismissal||Redundancy||Selection for employment|
|Parental leave||Flexible working requests||Promotion|
- The Diversity Charter applies to all aspects of employee relationships and relations between employees at all levels.
- We, the signatories, will value and leverage the requirements of the following characteristics such as age, gender, ethnicity, nationality, culture, sexual orientation, religion or belief, disability, and domestic responsibilities.
- Select the levels for each of the sections below that your company can currently commit to.
- Signatory companies will be declared as explorer, bronze, silver or gold dependent on the answers provided. The levels are detailed below:
|Monitoring and Reporting Metrics||1-3||4-6||7-9||10-13|
|Total Score range||3-6||7-12||13-19||20-26|
- To progress to the next level, additional commitments in each of the three categories will be required. This can be reassessed and modified at the next review, in a year’s time.
- By signing up to this charter you are agreeing to report on your metrics and review your D&I Initiatives and charter annually. Companies should review and renew its personalised Diversity Charter annually.
- Companies which cannot meet the minimum requirements for Bronze charter status can assess themselves against Explorer and advise ICS if they are interested in the programme but require further assistance in starting the journey towards making a charter commitment. ICS will then contact the company to suggest ways forward. Contact [email protected]