Unique ICS Leadership Insights Series delivers new perspectives for the shipping industry
The International Chamber of Shipping (ICS) is running a unique series of digital events which will give shipping industry leaders an insight into how the post-COVID direction of national policies and corporate strategies outside the industry will impact on the future of shipping and international trade.
The ICS Leadership Insights Series is designed to help senior decision makers better understand the changes taking place in the operating environment. It brings together industry leaders, policymakers and financiers to discuss the global shifts that have arisen in the wake of the pandemic and chart the path back to economic growth, stability and resilience. Providing a high-level perspective for the maritime sector, the Series focuses on how other industries are responding to this new world, and how that will impact our own business.
The first event, Shipping 2020 – Analysis of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, arranged in conjunction with DNV GL, takes place on Wednesday September 9th.
It explores how much COVID-19 has fundamentally changed the way we do business – both for good and bad; identifies the key challenges that are still facing the shipping industry to resolve the crew change issue and prevent a recurrence; and looks at lessons to be learnt and alliances to be forged for the future.
With speakers coming from a broad range of disciplines and offering a range of perspectives, the series is chaired by Esben Poulsson, Chairman of The International Chamber of Shipping, with the panel including:
- Hugo De Stoop, CEO, EuroNav, Belgium
- Knut Ørbeck-Nilssen, CEO Maritime, DNV GL, Germany
- Gerardo A. Borromeo, CEO PTC Holdings, The Philippines
- Cora van Nieuwenhuizen, Minister for Infrastructure and Water Management, The Netherlands
- Guy Ryder, Secretary General, International Labour Organization, Switzerland
- Michael Frohlich, CEO, Ogilvy, UK
- Guy Platten, Secretary General, ICS
Esben Poulsson said:
“Understanding the systemic changes in the world and being able to deal with new risks is vital for any leader, no matter in which industry or wherever you may operate. Creating a more informed dialogue will ensure that we are able to make the right decisions as we shape the future of shipping.”
Knut Ørbeck-Nilssen added:
“All sectors of industry have been impacted by the pandemic, and it is important that we understand the nature of that impact, and learn from each other, in order to chart the path back to economic growth, stability and resilience.”
Registration is now open for the first four events in the ICS Leadership Insights Series, which will all take place at 10 am UK time:
- 09 September 2020 – Shipping 2020 – Analysis of the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic
- 23 September 2020 – Plotting recovery in the aftermath of COVID-19 – What should business expect next?
- 14 October 2020 – What will be the new norms? Planning for an uncertain future – Investing for the future
- 28 October 2020 – Where does shipping’s decarbonisation agenda sit in a post-COVID-19 world?
The International Chamber of Shipping will release more information on each event nearer the time.