The Environment Sub-Committee considers technical issues related to shipping and the marine environment, reporting to the Marine Committee .
The Sub-Committee assesses and improves measures to reduce the environmental impact of shipping and provides technical advice and guidance to develop the ICS position on environmental issues.
The Sub-Committee considers all environmental matters which affect commercial ships, their crews and cargo.
- Undertakes detailed technical discussions on all environmental issues relevant to the shipping industry, with a focus on the work of IMO;
- Provides technical support to the Marine Committee and ICS Board;
- Makes technical decisions and recommendations on policy for agreement by the Marine Committee;
- Guides the ICS Secretariat in producing technical papers for submission to IMO and best practice guidance for the industry on environmental areas; -Committees and Panels.
- Delegates tasks to ICS Sub-Committees and Panels where their expertise is required on environment-related matters.
All IMO Committees and Sub-Committees where environmental issues are under consideration.
The Secretary to the Sub-Committee liaises closely with environmental experts from other associations and organisations, undertaking joint work such as the development of best practice-guidance on key environmental areas of concern.
The Secretary also chairs the Industry Working Group on Ship Recycling, a cross-industry group dedicated to developing best practice and promoting the Hong Kong Convention, 2009.